Living room table

I managed to get this IKEA living room table for free, I knew straight away what I wanted to do with it. It had a small hole on top but that didn’t matter.

J’ai réussi à trouver cette table gratuitement, en la voyant j’ai su directement ce que je voulais faire avec. Il y avait un petit trou sur le dessus de la table, mais cela n’était pas grave.

DSC_8302 2

For this project I needed wood, so with the help of my boyfriend, we dismantled some wood pallets. I then used a sander to make the boards nice and smooth. I measured the boards and cut them, making sure I used the best pieces of the pallet wood.

Pour ce projet j’avais besoin de bois, donc avec l’aide de mon copain, nous avons démantelé des palettes pour récupérer le bois. Ensuite j’ai utilisé une ponceuse pour rendre le bois doux et lisse. J’ai mesuré les planches et les ai coupées en étant sûr d’avoir les meilleures parties des palettes.

 

The table was black/dark brown but I wanted it white so I used a multi surface paint from Tollens in satin white which I already had at home from another project. Using a paint roller instead of a brush made the job both quicker and the end result smooth. I applied three coats.

La table était d’un noir/brun foncé mais je la voulais blanche, j’ai donc utilisé de la peinture multi-supports de la marque Tollens en blanc satin qu’il me restait d’un autre projet. J’ai préféré me servir d’un rouleau à peinture au lieu d’un pinceau, le travail était plus rapide et le rendu plus lisse. J’ai appliqué trois couches.

DSC_8347 2

Then I painted some of the boards with dark oak varnish (which I also already had at home from my dining room table redo) and some with white varnish.

J’ai vernis certaines planches avec un style chêne foncé (qu’il me restait de mon précédent projet avec la table à manger) et d’autres en vernis blanc.

After all of the paint was dry I attached the boards to the table with wood glue, using clamps on each board for 24 hours so that the glue would set and the boards wouldn’t budge. This took some time seeing as I didn’t have that many clamps.

Une fois la peinture et le vernis secs, j’ai collé les planches sur la table avec de la colle à bois, j’ai utilisé des serres joints sur chaque côté du bois et j’ai ensuite attendu 24 heures entre chaque planche que la colle sèche. Cela m’a pris beaucoup de temps du fait que je n’avais que quatre serres joints.

All of the boards where attached at last! Then I just used some colorless varnish on top to make sure the table would be durable.

I’m super happy with the result!

Quand tout le bois fût collé, j’ai tout simplement utilisé du vernis incolore pour renforcer les planches.

Je suis super heureuse du résultat.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s