World map living room table

This was a simple living room table that I found at a flea market, it was quite worn down but it was sturdy. This time I wanted to try something new and I had this idea in my head of a world map on the top.

A la base c’était une simple table basse que nous avions trouvé dans une brocante, elle était très usée mais stable.  Ce coup-ci je voulais essayer quelque chose de nouveau et j’avais cette idée en tête de placer une carte du monde sur le dessus de la table.

DSC_8326 2

I started by sanding the whole table and then applied some turquoise paint. I did two coats. I then proceeded with sanding some of the edges to get a distressed look.

J’ai commencé par poncer entièrement la table et je l’ai peinte en bleu turquoise. J’ai passé deux couches. J’ai ensuite poncé les côtés pour donner un aspect « vieux au meuble », pour qu’il ait plus de caractère.

 

 

My plan from the beginning was to cover the top with one world map but it was hard to find a map with the right dimensions. I ended up purchasing a small Atlas and cut out the pages I wanted to use. I wanted the pages to look a little older and used so I dipped them in coffee to stain them a bit and rubbed on them to achieve this look.

Je planifiais de recouvrir le dessus de la table avec une grande carte du monde, mais cela était trop difficile à trouver les dimensions parfaites. J’ai finalement acheté un atlas et coupé les pages qui m’intéressaient.  Je voulais vraiment un style ancien, donc j’ai trempé les pages dans du café pour les vieillir.

Then I tried putting the pages down on the tabletop, trying different ways to see what looked the best. Now came the hard part, to glue the pages on the table. It took a lot of patience, what I did was glue one page at a time and make sure to push the bubbles out with a ruler. I used a strong multi-uses DIY glue called Cléocol.

Ensuite j’ai placé les pages sur le dessus de la table, j’ai essayé de les mettre dans différentes positions pour voir laquelle serait la mieux. Maintenant viens la partie la plus complexe : coller les cartes sur la table. Il m’a fallu beaucoup de patience pour coller les pages une à une et enlever les bulle d’air sous le collage. J’ai utilisé une colle bricolage multi-usages très forte du nom de Cléocol.

When all the pages were attached I took a cutter knife to remove the excess paper around the table. I sprayed the top with several coats of protective varnish and also painted with two coats of clear varnish to make sure the top would hold.

Quand tout était en place j’ai coupé avec un cutter l’excèdent de papier qui dépassait autour de la table. J’ai aspergé le dessus avec beaucoup de vernis protecteur et peint avec deux couches de vernis pour être sûr que le tout reste fixé.

Here’s the finished look!

Et voilà le travail !

 

dsc_8907-2.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s